--------------------------------------
Date: 3/20/96 2:17 PM
To: Stephan Bugaj
From: Pierre-Yves Bonnetain

> But you might be interested to know that recent court decisions have
> stated that placing something in RAM is making a copy.  And a bill is
> just coming out of committee in Congress that would strengthen copyright
> law to the point where simply browsing through the Web reading documents
> (without saving or printing them) could be considered copyright infringement.

   That's fine for me, as long as the legislative entities passing such bills
find a way to make people _pay_ for those so-called copies in RAM (that's the
point of copyright, huh ?).
   I propose to widden the scope of the bill to computers used for
transit of such documents. This is because access providers are richer than
the average guy, and a good case could bring millions in copyright infrigments.
   That way, we will quickly return to the good ol' times when we were working
with paper and pencil (yeah, I'm a stockholder of paper and pencil
manufacturers :-).
--
-+-+ Pierre-Yves BONNETAIN (aka Pyb)
     Consultant